Did you know that many household cleaners available at the grocery store contain harmful chemicals that can compromise your health and the health of your pets?
At Pet Planet, we offer a selection of pet-friendly cleaners to help you with your every day cleaning needs. Some of our cleaning solutions include options that help with deodorizing, eliminating stains, and more from brands like EZ-Clean, Pure and Natural Pet, and Baie Run. Visit your local store to check out the selection available.
Below are a couple simple additional cleaner recipes from Green Calgary’s “Green Cleaning Guide” to help you on your way to an eco-friendly, green cleaning routine.
Take a look at our list of key ingredients you’ll need to make the most of the green cleaning products in the guide, along with some recipes to get you started.
- White vinegar: this household staple is a great grease cutter.
- Washing soda (e.g. J&J So Clean): cuts grease, cleans petroleum oil, removes wax or lipstick and neutralizes odors.
- Castile soap: made from vegetable oil (sometimes called “Seafarer’s soap”).
- Baking soda: another household staple that cleans and deodorizes.
- Borax: a good abrasive cleaner for sinks and bathtubs.
- Olive oil: great for polishing wood floors or furniture.
- Lemon juice: great grease cutter.
- Good old fashioned “elbow grease”.
- Diatomaceous Earth*
Sprinkle on the carpet. Let it sit for up to 24 hours and vacuum it up.
*Diatomaceous Earth is available at Pet Planet.
All Purpose Cleaner
- 1 tbsp Borax
- ½ cup Liquid Castile Soap
- ½ cup White Vinegar
- 1 gallon Hot Water
- 20 drops of Essential Oil (optional)
Combine ingredients in a spray bottle for easy use. Works on multiple kitchen and bathroom surfaces including shower mildew and baked-on microwave gunk.
- 1 cup White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 cups Water
Put it in a handy spray bottle. Clean windows, any other glass surfaces, countertops and tile.
Note: Before you start using a natural glass cleaner, you may have to use rubbing alcohol to remove any waxy residue built up from store-bought cleaners.